- This event has passed.
Travel Photography Workshop for Beginners
Jan 15, 2017 - Jan 18, 2017$2212
Travel Photography Workshop brochure
Bali offers amazing culture in REAL local community. For centuries, exposed to the camera lens, click and flash of the curious “tamu” foreigner, Balinese tolerate and rejoice the fact outsiders take interest in their unique traditions and encourage participation. Seen in century old oil paintings, big nose and khaki shirt foreigners shooting with camera at ceremony gatherings. The small islands East of Lombok are inhabited by fisher gypsy families coming from Sulawesi 5 generations ago. Today, the quiet island has no cars or scooters, offering quiet location for creative beach and sunset photography. With respect to cultural etiquettes, we learn to use our camera and lenses to capture unique experiences in both enchanting environments.
Gekotour invites amateur DSLR digital camera photographers and travel enthusiasts to explore by lens and palate a cultural journey on-location through the Islands, beaches, and volcanic lakes of the Gods.
Combining theory and practicum experience, students learn from Travel Photographer Cristobal Ruiz, a trained young eye, how to make engaging street, portrait and food photography with multiple composition technique, light exposure, and digital editing.
Join seasoned travel veteran, Suzan Badgley the Geko Treker, off the beaten track to interact and share activities with the locals of Bali and Lombok Island.
Gekotour invites amateur photographers and travel enthusiasts to explore by lens and palate a cultural journey through the Islands, beaches, and volcanic lakes of the Gods. Learn from a trained young eye, Travel Photography while exploring the cultural diversities of Bali and Lombok Island. Join seasoned travel veteran, Suzan Badgley the Geko Treker, off the beaten track to interact and share activities with the locals.
Highlights: 14 days
- Stay in coastal beach bungalows and volcano and rice field ECO retreats
- Enjoy real countryside explorations with local guides
- Join local women in their family compound to study traditional Balinese countryside cuisine
- Trek through rice fields capturing local farmers tending cows and crops
- Walk along volcano crater to spice plantations and jungle waterfalls
- Stroll beaches and ride horse carts around island
- Shoot magnificent sunsets dipping into the shallow seas
- Visit coffee coop and try roasting famous Lewak coffee
- Cook with local herbs and spices for medicinal purposes
- Join fishing expedition and return to shore to cook your catch with fishing families
Lesson 1: Introduction
In day one we will get to know each other, learn why we are here and what can we expect from the course. An introduction to photography will be taught and we will get ready for the adventure ahead of us for the next 10 days. We will review each others gear and we will make sure everyone has the necessary goods for the road.
Lesson 2: Camera and Lens
Getting to know our cameras:
- How does a digital camera work?
- The three basics: ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture
- Manual mode and other choices when travelling
- Choosing lenses for different purposes: portraits, landscape
- Why light is so important in photography
- What is white balance?
Lesson 3: Epic Light Equals Epic Photo
We will learn the following:
- How important is light to photography
- How it will affect the quality of our photos.
- What are the best times during the day to make photographs
- How to take good sunrise and sunset photos
Lesson 4: Subjects and Composition for Photographing People
Learn to shoot portraits, both candid and planned:
- Secrets techniques to approach people close. How to get a portrait of that mysterious old man that I see but I don’t know how to approach him?
- Composition is one of the most important aspects of photography: Adding the necessary ingredients to make a good photograph.
- Rules and breaking the rules of photography.
Lesson 5: Lets Shoot Natural Landscapes!
Review lens and composition options for landscape photography to make epic photographs of your holiday experiences.
- Should I include people in my photographs?
- What is a panoramic photo?
- How do I make justice with what I see in a photograph?
Lesson 6: Long Exposures for Night Photography
- Learn different techniques to achieve amazing star and sky shots.
- Explore taking surreal photos of moving objects during the night.
Lesson 7: Post Processing. What do we do with all your photos?
Learn the basics of post processing and editing a photograph in a digital darkroom session: exposure, highlights, contrast and saturation to achieve fabulous looking photographs.
Lesson 8: Photography is Art
Review and apply the techniques learned during the trip with photography games and challenges. Free to explore and ask questions.
Lesson 9: Portfolio Review
Review our portfolios and share best photographs during the trip. Discuss and learn from each other’s vision of photography.
Lesson 10: Wind-up Celebration
Sadly after ten amazing days of hiking through volcanoes, walking in temples and enjoying the amazing ocean it is time to say good bye!
Tentative Daily Schedule
|1||Sanur||Orientation||Pick-up at airport and transport to hotel
|2||Klungkung||Lesson #1: Intro to Camera||Justice of Peace and Royal Palace, Sea Salt, Textile market
|3||Padangbai||Lesson #2: Black and White Photography||Tenganan Aga Village
Junkung boat and snorkeling tour
|4||Gili Meno||Lesson #3: Portrait Photography||Horse cart around the island snapping glimpses of the local activities
Free for afternoon exploration and relaxation, snorkeling with the turtles
|5||Gili Air||Lesson #4:||Cooking class: Puri Air Resort and Spa traditional Lombok style
OPTIONAL: Massage on the Beach!
Night creative shots
|6||Amed||Lesson #5:||Tour around the active volcano to weaving village, visit coastal fishing village
Fish BBQ on the beach with dance performance by Anak Children’s Education Centre
|7||Amed||Lesson #6:||OPTIONAL: Early Morning Fishing with local Fishers on traditional Juking dugout boat
Trekking through cashew plantation to Holy Springs for unique tastes and forest shots
|8||Singaraja – Munduk||Lesson #7:||Morning market in the old trading port
Historical walking tour with GUIDE:
|9||Munduk||Lesson #8:||Dutch Colonial Spice Trail to Waterfall
Cooking colonial foods
|10||Munduk||Lesson #9:||Trek and canoe in the volcanic crater finding 600-1000 yr temples nestled in the serene surrounding
|11||Pejeng||Follow the footsteps of the ancient Majapahit Kingdom viewing meditation chambers, bathing springs
Temple ceremony with Wayan
|12||Pejeng||Lesson #10: Presentation||Village and POP walk with Pasta, organic farm and cacao plantation
Spice Plantation, Holy Water Spring Titra Empul, cooking with Putri
|13||Ubud||Monkey Forrest, Wood carvers and Art gallery
Free evening to enjoy dinner and traditional Dance
|14||Check-out for next destination|